Rowallan Mtb park, Mackay

Rowallan Park in Mackay is a fantastic mountain bike park.  It is great for riders of all levels. It is right next to a scout campground, which is also available to the general public At. $10 per person it was a bargain. 🙂 
The park has a variety of green and blue runs. The tracks are quite well maintained and suited to beginner and intermediate riders.  
Mackay wasn't far away from Shute Harbour. I left South Molle island in the morning at 6am, 2 hours or so of paddling, dry and pack my gear then in 2 hours I was there at the park. I arrived around 11:00am,  

I was questioning Google maps about where it was taking me as the final part of the route was along this dirt laneway through farms. Friendly signs were around saying trespassers will be prosecuted. There there was this big sign indicating I was entering a scout camp. 

I did not realise the alliance that the mountain bike had with the scouts. This seems to be common with a few parks in Queensland, for example the Townsville and Cairns ones have alliances with the university or army.


When you drive in, the first thing you notice is the sweeping grounds of the camp area and scout facilities. I asked a couple of campers and confirmed that I could stay. The warden comes round at about 5pm to collect the fees. Due to its location, the phone signal is poor and so it is difficult to book and pay online there. Lucky I had some cash on me.
On the left is the mountain bike area and amenities for shower and toilet. As tempting as it is, I avoided the skills park as for many reasons unknown I seem to hurt myself more in these parks than on the main tracks.
After a few hours in the car and all that kayaking, I felt that it was time to exercise my mountain bike.  I started with the green ones to ease back into cycling mode. 
The track was not too technical, but had its challenges - mainly navigation ones. It gets dark rapidly in Queensland, the signage here is pretty poor and I was on a piece of wool that the cat had fun with. 

Being here during the week, no one was around to provide directions, Somehow I got back without sleeping the night curled up under some leaves, All part of the fun !



For an interactive map see:

Blog Indexes:

Loading previous adventure... Loading next adventure...

Comments