Journey to the top. Halfway up Cape York.
Cape York is close, so it seems. On a spurred decision I decided that I am
going there - to the tip. Cape York tip, traditional name Pajinka is a mere
860km away. The roads have been graded, it is early in the season, why not
?
I suppose I could have driven all the way up there in 12 hours and 23 minutes
as Google estimates, but what have I achieved ? I would have driven there on a
predominantly dirt highway, with a potentially eternal dust cloud of laden
trucks or 4wd convoys in front of me.
All that just to take a photograph of a plaque at the northernmost tip of
mainland Australia. Big deal. As the saying goes "it is not about winning, it
is about the journey"; well, something like that. I wanted something more than
just an endless wide dirt highway to get to a plaque.
I got the desired journey by travelling on the eastern side of the Development
road through the Lakefield (Rinyirru) national park. There are colonial
artefacts. Plenty of history to be read about on the Battlefield road with the
colonists and their interactions with the aboriginals (not good).
Termite mounds with their citadel like structures adorn the countryside.
Numerous ponds and rivers covered with birds provide a nice relief to the
scrubby surrounds.
The creek crossings are all within the scope of my van's capability. I was
happy to be able to ford them all without damaging the underside of the
vehicle.
It was a pleasure to sit outside and read. Though, I kept a wary eye out for
those lurking reptiles who might be present in the nearby waterway and view me
as lunch.
The road was recently graded, but could easily deteriorate with a bit of rain.
I was fortunate that for the best part I was able to drive on a reasonably
good surface. There is no appeal in hundreds of kilometres of ruts and
corrugations.
I joined the Peninsula Development road at Yarraden - Musgrave roadhouse and
made a decision. On a tank it listed the various destinations and their
distances. The top 570, Weipa 376, Lakefield 114 and so on.
I had a wonderful time travelling from Cooktown through the waterways on
Lakefield park and looked at the road ahead. My van is not suited to the
alternative routes eg. telegraph road, nor did I have a support team to help
me if I ventured off-road.
So, I decided to turn back. The best time to leave a party is when you have
had a good time. I had a good time. There was no desire within me to go any
further. On the way south I stopped to view the artwork at Split Rock. It is
always a pleasure for me to view aboriginal art especially given that the road
art is tens of thousands of years old.
It was a great time to be up here right at the beginning of the touring
season. Hardly a soul around and worthy of the trip. I would like some day to
come here in a more capable vehicle, but with what I have experienced, I am
also satisfied if I do not.
For an interactive map see:
Blog Indexes:
- Contents
- Navigate:
- Prev: Kite Surfari, Cooktown
- Next: Great Keppel Is
Comments
Post a Comment